Running a project in the remote east of Cambodia sometimes limits the access to certain resources and availability of technologies. There are also some things that are far outside our reach from general funds raised through the EVP.
Therefore we have created a wish list. Some things are small and you may be able to pack them in your suitcase if coming from overseas, (which would be an immense help). Others are a dream, but if you have the means and would like to sponsor one of the bigger items that would make a big difference to the project and thus the elephants.
We need iodine and lots of it. Purchasing a 1 litre bottle of Iodine in Phnom Penh and donating it to us to help to treat wounds and give foot baths would be an enormous help. (Annually we use about 1500 litres a year)
Other items that would really help us along the way are :
- First Aid Supplies (Packets of Plasters, Bandages, Gauze Pads, etc.)
- Packets of 200 mg Paracetamol and Ibroprufen (we can buy this here but sourced)
- Antiseptic cream, mosquito repellent, de-worming medication and fly and tick shampoo for dogs.
- Decent Scrubbing brushes with long handles
- Good large umbrellas, like golf umbrellas
- Hats, work clothing, rain jackets, work boots, gum boots, etc.
- Thick work gloves
- Electric torches (preferably rechargeable)
- Tools of all shapes, kinds, and sizes
Any old working technology is always much appreciated as our work in the field eats these items.
Computers in any size or form are always needed for admin and for documenting research, community projects or also to donate to other education programs in Mondulkiri. Rarely do we get funding for technology so any help goes a long way!
- Basic Computer
- Cell Phones
- GPS Units
- Two Way Radios
- Satellite Phone x 2 (with SIM)
Most of the project staff have always used their own motos. We would love to give them project motos, which are newer and more reliable for ease of work and safety.
- Head Mahout – $1200
- Project Assistant Manager – $1200
- Cook/kitchen staff – $1200
- EVP run around moto – $1000
Elephant Medical Crushes
We would like to build 2 elephant medical treatment crushes onsite. One close to base camp and one in the bottom of the valley. This would make giving treatment to the elephants much easier and safer, especially the old guys and gals that might not like getting injections very much.
- Estimate cost for each crush – $ 1000
Solar Power for the EVP
We currently do not have a consistent electricity at the EVP. We do run a generator for power 3 hours per night and when needed. But we would love to fit out the whole camp with solar, in order to be more environmentally friendly, so we might be able to have hot showers in the cold season and also so we don’t have to listen to that big smelly generator each night.
We do not currently have a cost for this, but have spoken to a solar company in Cambodia that works with NGO’s and are ready to get a quote at any time. If you are interested in supporting this effort then please drop us a line.